The Wildcats pulled themselves together and did a little scoring, but the Cardinal had a 20-point lead at the half.
Early in the fourth quarter, Tara began clearing the bench. At the end, the Cardinal floor contingent was Kiran at the point, Alexa, Alex, Shannon and Tess. All 14 roster players had at least five minutes. Alexa stood out among the end-of-the bench crew, hitting a jumper, a three, and two free throws for a career-best seven points.
Marta played an impressive 18 minutes at the point, during which she dished five assists, drove to the basket twice for four points, had three steals and only two turnovers.
Scoring was quite evenly distributed: Bird 12, Lili 11, Kaylee 10, Brittany 9, Karlie 8, Bri, Alanna and Alexa with 7 each. Marta and Kiran had 4 and Alex, 2. Collectively, they made 52% of their shots.
This was the kind of runaway win that is usually seen only in the pre-season, and for fans a nice change from the tight competition of this year's PAC-12.
Here are game reports and commentary:
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Arizona 82-58, the Associated Press game recap
- Recap: Stanford women's basketball takes care of Arizona, the Pac-12 game recap video
- Cats come up short at Stanford, the Arizona Athletics game recap
- Everybody involved, the game recap and more from Stanford Athletics
- Stanford dismantles lowly Arizona by John Reid (Mercury News)
- The focus turns to Sun Devils after win over the Wildcats from Palo Alto Online
- WBB: Stanford 82 Arizona 58 from the CARDboard
The press conference audio, with Tara, Karlie and Kaylee,
A video interview of Marta,
And photos by Marcio Jose Sanchez (Associated Press):