The Trojans scored first, but the Cardinal took the lead 1½ minutes into the game, increased it to 13 points on a 19-4 run and led by nine at the break.
They kept up the attack all through the second half, never letting the Trojans back into the game, and won 71-60.
Although the Trojans won the battle of the boards 41-32, Cardinal defense held them to an inadequate 36% shooting from the field.
Trojan defense held Cardinal three-point shooters in check — Bonnie sank only two treys and Lili, Bri and Amber each sank one. But the Cardinal were hot on the inside where they made 54%. They also got to the line where they hit a sizzling 20 of 24.
Bird was definitely seeing the basket tonight. She turned and shot and hit five times on five attempts. She also had six rebounds, two blocks and a steal.
Kaylee scored on four of five attempts, two of them lovely back-door cuts with assists from Amber.
In other Pac-12 action today, the OSU Beavers made beating the ASU Sun Devils look easy and are now the only undefeated team in the conference. The Bears came back from a 12-point deficit in the first half to beat the Bruins 72-57 and hold on to fourth place in the conference.
Here are game reports and commentary:
- Trojans Topped, the Associated Press game recap (posted by Stanford Athletics)
- No. 11 Stanford Stays Ahead Of USC Women For 71-60 Win At Galen Center, the USC Athletics game recap
- Thompson leads Stanford women past USC in Pac-12 hoops from Palo Alto Online
- WBB: Stanford 71 U$€ 60 from the CARDboard
- Stanford women's basketball tops USC in LA, the Pac-12 game recap video
- A Sweep in LA by Wally Mersereau, FBC traveller
A video interview of Lili after her bounce-back game against USC