April 12, 2009

Michelle's thank you

Michelle Smith posted her thank you to Cardinal fans in The Bootleg (the Stanford women's basketball forum). She gave her permission to have it repeated here for those fans who do not subscribe to The Bootleg:
Hi all-

OK. I've been smoked out :-), but I couldn't let this moment pass without saying how much I appreciate all the kind words and good wishes that have been sent my way from this group. It has been a great lift in a tough time.

Just to address a few things: I did voluntarily take the buyout. We are a two-newspaper income household and that is starting to seem like a bad long-term financial plan. It is time -- especially with a high school freshman living down the hall -- to come by a more stable income source. That is why I am choosing to go now instead of waiting to see how things turn out at the paper.

My official last day is May 23. I am burning some post-season comp time at the moment, and will be back for a couple of weeks to perhaps cover a few baseball games or write a couple of features before I officially depart.

I will, as I wrote, miss terribly covering the women's game for the Chron. It's been a pleasure and the most rewarding thing in my career. You must know that my editors have been exceedingly encouraging at letting me have the freedom to pursue stories and have provided prominent play at prominent moments and I'm very grateful for that.

And lastly, I'm working on a plan to continue to cover the game. I'm not ready to give up all the details yet -- mostly because I don't have them. But I guess I'm hoping for your support when my new venture begins in a few months. Let's just say this, I'm shopping for domain names and looking for friends with technological and business know-how to make sure I'm doing this right.

Anyway, you've all always been so kind and I will be around, lurking, and maybe now sometimes posting where I wasn't really able to before.

With gratitude, Michelle

4 comments:

Cyd Crampton said...

Have we invited Michelle to the banquet on Wednesday? I can pick her up and drive her to and fro, if needed.

Cynthia Kruger said...

Well Cyd . . . as I am sure you know now, she was there and teared up at our STANDING OVATION. She has been an awesome supporter of Women's Basketball with all she has written. I wish her all the best!

Cyd Crampton said...

I was ready with the Kleenex, but she got a hold of herself before I needed to throw her the supply.

Anonymous said...

Boy, timing is everything! I cancelled my subscription to the Chronicle right after the Final Four, since the only reason I subscribed to the rag was to read Michelle's articles on Stanford Women's basketball (and, well, Cal women, too). Now I don't have to re-subscribe in November if she is not going to be there. I am really looking forward to hearing of her plans as they work out.

Clint Smith