The game was mostly close: the Zags were ahead by one, 15-16, after the first quarter; and at the half they were still ahead by one, 27-28.
The game seemed to take a decisive turn in the opening of the second half, when Barta and Tinkle combined for fifteen points in three minutes, forcing Tara to call time at 6:16 with the Cardinal trailing by 10, 33-43. But, following the timeout, Stanford put on a defensive clinic that held the Zags to only one point in the next four minutes, while the Cardinal slowly climbed back into the game to take a lead of 46-44. This quarter that had started so badly ended with Stanford ahead 51-46.
Gonzaga closed that gap in the fourth quarter, and with 0:27 were again up by one, 63-64. The Cardinal did the usual last-minute fouling but were unable to score on any possession, and the Zags sealed the game with free-throws, 63-68.
Brittany had another excellent outing with 22 points, eight rebounds, three assists and a block.
Bird had her first double-double of the season — 17 points and eleven rebounds.
Karlie had ten points , three assists and three steals, and showed her usual intense defense.
Bri was a fierce defender and dished six assists. She shot only 2-8, but one of her two hits was a morale-boosting three-point shot that answered one by Gonzaga.
Alanna made some nice plays and tallied five points and four rebounds.
Here are game reports and commentary:
- Barta scores 26, Gonzaga women beat No. 11 Stanford 68-63, the Associated Press game recap
- Zags Get First Win Over No. 11/7 Stanford In Thriller In Maples Pavilion, the Gonzaga Athletics game recap
- Cardinal Bested by Zags, the Stanford Athletics game recap
- No. 11 Stanford women's basketball drops close contest to Gonzaga, the Pac-12 game recap video
- WBB: Gonzaga 68 Stanford 63 from the CARDboard
- Women’s basketball falls just short against Gonzaga by Alexandre Bucquet (The Stanford Daily)
The press conference audio with Tara and Bird,
And a gallery of photos by Bob Drebin (isiphotos.com). Bob Drebin/isiphotos.com