November 24, 2008

With love to JJ

We don't yet know what the MRI will show, but I want to tell JJ how much she means to her fans. Following are posts from the Bootleg Women's Basketball Message Board. Please add your tribute -- your thoughts, feelings, special memories -- as comments to this blog. I'll send them all to JJ tomorrow.
***********************************************
As convincing a victory as I have ever seen, but so saddened by the injury to our spark, JJ. We hope for the best, and our thoughts are with JJ and her family. Candace Parker suffered ACL injuries in both her Sr year of HS and her first year at Tenn. She turned out to be the best in college BB after her injuries. Keep the faith JJ.
***********************************************
I love JJ's game. I first saw JJ play in December of her freshman year. She and her mates came down to LA to kick off the Pac-10 season (before Christmas!) against UCLA and USC. Candice Wiggins was injured and missed both of those games, so someone had to step up. It was JJ, who scored much needed points from the outside and brought a calming influence to her team. Stanford won both games. I brought a guest to the USC game who'd never seen Stanford play before. His thought -- that freshman point guard was the most impressive player on the floor. Indeed she was.

During the game against Rutgers, there were two touch pass plays that really entertained me (watching on the video feed). One was Nneka, leaping in the air to meet a high pass into the post and volleyballing the pass back to the perimeter where a mate knocked down a three point shot. Wow! The other touch pass was JJ's. Running the floor on offense, JJ met a pass around the mid court line and touch passed it ahead to Jeanette Pohlen (I think) for the lay up. What a marvelous play, and made to look so easy and effortless. In fact, the play was extraordinary, as JJ was in full stride and her touch pass fell just where it needed to for Jeanette to complete the play.

JJ, I love your game. I know that, whatever your injury, you will be back!
***********************************************
A tragedy. JJ had trained herself into peak condition, significantly better than at the start of last season. Her vision of the court and seemingly natural ability to connect with her teammates was inspiring. Hopefully, she will still bring inspiration from the bench as Morgan does.

Her smiling presence signing autographs for worshipful little girls was missing from the auction. She left poignant stats for her last 17 minutes: 3 of 4 3-pointers, 6 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal.
***********************************************
Just viewing the video clips on YouTube where JJ is so cute, running around on campus and making threes, gets me all verklempft. Double RATS!!! I am bereft and disconsolate!
***********************************************
That pass from JJ brought the house to its feet, and it [the game] may have been over from that point on. The definitive statement: We are better than you. We are quicker, we can score on you. Well at this point we hope for some sort of good news for us, for JJ, for her family.
***********************************************
I hate this so much. It is the only thing that bothers me about following basketball. Losses bum me out for two minutes to a day, depending. This kind of bummer sticks around.
***********************************************
I cried. JJ has such amazing talent, but I have to admit it's JJ's heart that I love the most -- she's a spark, an influence, a helper, encourager, leader, all the intangibles that I don't have words for + a great, skilled and fun-to-watch player. Our prayers and best wishes to her and her family.
***********************************************
Go to comments for more messages.
***********************************************

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

JJ - We love your game and everything you do for the team. That will never change, regardless of what the MRI shows. Hang in there!!! You will be back better than ever.

The touch pass during the Rutgers game was one of the most beautiful plays I have seen in over 20 years of following the Stanford team. We could not stop cheering out here in Virginia. Best wishes for a full and prompt recovery!

Joan said...

JJ - You bring so much to the game, to the floor, to the team. Your smile and energy, enthusiasm, encouragement to and support of your teammates. It's simply not fair, after so much work and effort, pain and time. But you can come back. And in the meantime, you energy and love of the game can continue to inspire your teammates. You will be hugely missed on the floor, but there's no way that you won't be there and a part of this team, all season long.

Anonymous said...

we love J J as a player but more importantly as a person. We were so saddened to see her in pain and wish her the very best.

Anonymous said...

This is such a dissapointing blow.. JJ had played so well in the game vs. New Mexico and in the first half vs. Rutgers.. It was so awful seeing her go down in so much pain.. I'm keeping my hopes up for speedy recovery and for JJ to come back even better than ever..

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we'll all miss her contributions on the court! But if JJ is the soul of the team as Tara says, then here's hoping her soul stays with us big time. I also hope that reporters continue ask her questions, because her interviews are candid and spiced with humor.

Anonymous said...

Someone asked me what I thought of the Rutgers game today and I said it was terrible. My thought was I'd much rather have lost the game than to see JJ go down with an injury. JJ has been such a wonderful player to watch on the court, but she's been as much fun to listen to in person.

I can remember the first time she spoke to the FBC and she had such a contagious, positive spirit and great sense of humor that it was clear she would have an important impact on the program.

If the injury is serious as we suspect it will be a huge loss for us all. Fortunately she will still be with the team helping provide positive energy.

Good luck!

Cynthia said...

JJ - I love your enthusiasm, your skill, your basketball smarts. Watching you play is watching the game at its best and purest!

It was sooooo hard seeing you crumpled up down on the floor in pain with your hands on your face.

I'm hoping for the best for you!

Be well . . . and heal well.

~ Cynthia K.

Anonymous said...

JJ. I love JJ. She #1. I hope a speedy recovery is in your future and girl don't ever give up. Just keep fighting. Remember everything happens for a reason and you are going to be even better when you return. Keep your head up.

Anonymous said...

We were so sad to see JJ's injury in the game yesterday. We loved the great game against Rutgers, but my sympathy for JJ and her family were in the back of my mind the whole time. My heart goes out to them as they cope with this disappointing setback. JJ is a player that my entire family just adores. No matter what the future holds for her, we have been so lucky to watch her play here at Stanford. We are thankful for all the joy she has brought us in sharing her love for the game and her immense basketball talent with the Stanford Community. We send wishes for a speedy but thorough recovery and we hope to see you back in full uniform, running the floor with your gifted ease.

Anonymous said...

I screamed "No..." at my radio and turned it off after JJ went down. I love Stanford WBB because they play their hearts out and play like a team. But I hate this sport when something like this happens. I still hope it is nothing serious. Whatever it is, I wish JJ a speedy recovery. JJ, you are such a special player.
With love to JJ!

Anonymous said...

JJ- AHHHHHHH.... Seeing you go down broke my heart. Just wanted to let you know that you're an amazing player and you should never stop believing in yourself!!!! Hope your injury isn't too severe and you'll be back on the floor ASAP. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

Anonymous said...

JJ- You are one in a million. We hope you recover quickly. You have given so much to the game - we can see it your eyes!

Anonymous said...

JJ- You are without a doubt the heart and soul of this team. When you went down, as you had your hands in your face with obvious pain, my heart just sank, and I too felt your pain with tears! We all wish you a quick and healthy recovery, and you will come back strong as ever!

We all love you and your game so much. Stay strong, positive, and hang in there!

We are all thinking of you. Take care and keep smiling! We wish you and your family all the best!

Anonymous said...

JJ: Your influence on the team's play was so visibly indisputable. Your presence on the court brought calm and heightened execution. Add to that your wonderful swagger and absolute delight when you did something unexpectedly well (like that touch pass). What more could a fan ask? One thing: that you put your heart and soul into a complete recovery so that we may see you next year leading the team, swishing threes, and having great fun.

By the way, your 17 minutes in the Rutgers game will go down in memory as some of the best Maples has ever seen.

Anonymous said...

JJ- You are such an asset to the team and such a joy to watch. We will never forget how well you played during the NCAAs...we were all blown away. You will be back and better than ever!!! We love you!

Anonymous said...

I was holding out hope that it wasn't as bad as it looked on Sunday, but I guess it is. It's been such a joy to watch JJ play and to see her passion for the game. I can't imagine how much it must hurt for such a competitive player to have to watch from the bench, but I know she'll inspire her teammates this year and be back to lead them next year. All the best JJ!

Bob Kinder said...

Our thoughts are with JJ and her family. JJ, your play was magnicent, your leadership so ourstanding that it stayed on the floor even with you in the locker room.

My family and I are so upset by your injury, but we know you are a fighter and will prevail though all your fight to recover. Our best to you.