July 21, 2016

Stanford loses Lili

Elliott Almond (Mercury News) answers the question many fans have been asking since the Spring banquet:

Stanford loses star guard Lili Thompson; won't return as senior

In a series of tweets, Lili says:

Hi everyone!
I took a nice, long break from tweeting recently, but now that I'm back I want to let you all know that I have decided not to return to the women's basketball team. While I know this decision may come as a surprise, let's all remain grateful for our health and education, and focus on the many issues affecting our world that are #BiggerThanBasketball. I look forward to my senior year at Stanford and enjoying whatever wonders the next stage of my life will bring. I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me over the last three years and, as always, Go Stanford!

2 comments:

craftsman said...

You will be sorely missed, Lili. Seems like you're giving up too much. Twenty years from now, I think this will leave a big hole in your wonderful athletic experience. Of course there are more important aspects to life than sports, but you've invested an enormous amount and have climbed an incredible peak with great rewards waiting. You stand at a wonderful and rare place in a young girl's life and for your own satisfaction I think you should finish it strong--just like that last second drive to the basket against the Jackrabbits that made such an enormous difference to your whole team's season last year. Please reconsider, wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

why am i not surprised by this.after the season,with all the gatherings ang stuff, she's always MIA. except for the birthday greeting from stanwbb on IG,there is no more post or news re: her.is it an internal issue? bec if it isn't how come the team hasnt publish anything on it on social media where they publish (link) almost everything.