April 18, 2010

USA Basketball final scrimmage

The USA National Team and the USA Select Team closed out a week of training today with an open scrimmage in front of 3,000 fans in Hartford. No score or statistics have been posted, but Geno deemed it a fantastic ending to the week's work.

Jayne said:

What did you think about this team?
I think it’ll be really interesting when you do add people who are missing into the mix, when everyone is in one place at the same time. It was definitely an advantage for me to be here, watch Geno coach and see the system he’s trying to put in for everyone.

Are you hoping to be healthy next time around?
Yes. This is it. It’s three times I’ve had to pass up on USA Basketball, bad things come in threes and I’m done with it. This isn’t going to happen a fourth time.

Nneka said:

You've played for USA Basketball before, how was this week different?
I think it was a foreshadowing, learning experience. It was very enlightening because all of these kids are older and they've been in the game so much longer. Even the ones that are graduating and are about to go into the WNBA, they have more experience than I do. So, I just learned a lot from them, especially off the court.

What specifically did you learn?
On the court, it's more than just making the pass or making the cut, it's what it takes for you to do it well and what it takes for you to be aggressive. I learned a lot about intensity and what people bring to the court aside from skill. Off the court, I learned about being a good leader and incorporating everyone in the team and keep that team congruency intact.

Kayla said:

On the scrimmage:
It was awesome. Just to be on the floor with girls that you play against every year and people that you watch play in the WNBA and college was great. The fans were great. The UConn cult, as people call it, was very supportive. We had a lot of people rooting for even the Select Team, so it was a lot of fun.

What did you learn this week?
I learned a lot. These girls are the best you can get, and just to play with them on the same floor or against them, you just learn from their experience. They go hard every single possession, and that is one thing I can take back with me into the college game.

What about your game specifically did you learn?
I know I can get my threes off, so that is reassuring, but just getting to the basket. I think I have to work on my ball-handling and my midrange game.

The report from USA Basketball includes quotes from all the participants, several videos and a photo gallery.

No comments: