The Long Beach State 49ers are very good 3-point shooters, but Cardinal defense held them to two of 20 beyond the arc this afternoon, while the Cardinal sharpshooters sank ten of 24. The result: a 77-41 victory for the Cardinal.
The 49ers used a zone defense most of the game in an attempt to deny access to the basket. They didn't slow Chiney down much — she scored her third consecutive double-double (16 points and 11 rebounds).
Her teammates took the opportunity to shoot from beyond the arc and made 42% of their attempts — three of five from Taylor, two of five from Jos and Bonnie, and one each from Jasmine, Sara and Amber. Jos was the top scorer with 18 points.
The Cardinal defense denied the 49ers their comfort zone beyond the arc and outrebounded them 43-32 on the inside.
Here are game reports:
- No. 1 Cardinal Improve to 6-0 by Janie McCauley (Associated Press)
- Tinkle leads Stanford women past Long Beach State by Rick Eymer (Palo Alto Online)
- WBB: Stanford 77 Long Beach State 41 from the CARDboard
- Orrange lifts No. 1 Stanford by Chelsea Janes (Houston Chronicle)
- Tinkle, No. 1 Stanford women laugh past Long Beach St. 77-41 from the (Helena Independent Record)
- Cardinal routs Long Beach State after upending No. 1 Baylor by Tom Taylor (Stanford Daily)
- Orrange again nears triple-double in Stanford women's rout of Long Beach State by Jake Curtis
A gallery of photos by Norbert Von Der Groben (Stanford Photo),
And these photos by Tony Avelar (Associated Press):